..."popsicles on the porch"...what a great afternoon treat and our favorite way to spend time together! These are simple and precious moments! Princess #1 and Princess #2 along with Little Man #1 and #2 are my inspiration for most of these writings.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

WFMW: Sippy Cups and Germs


When one child is sick, you know it's just a matter of time before the other one gets sick too! This was the case about a month ago when our oldest had a fever, cough, aches and chills. We knew it was just a matter of time before the little one got it too!

In attempt to avoid the inevitable I, like most moms, kicked it into overdrive trying my best to minimize the spreading of germs. I did everything from lysoling the house down, washing the linens and tried to keep the kids from eating or drinking after one another.

As you know, trying to keep them from eating and drinking after one another is no easy task! However, that same week my mother had just given the girls these adorable sippy cups with each of the girls favorite character on them; a pink Disney Princess cup for Isa and a purple Minnie cup for Elianna.


The girls of course went nuts over them! They loved the idea of having their own personal cups that only they could drink out of. Because of that, my mom suggested using their cups as a teaching tool about germs and not drinking after others (especially when sick)!

Because it can be difficult to reason with little ones at this stage (and because mama doesn’t really like them drinking after other people anyway), it turned out to be an effective and easy way to keep the girls from drinking after one another and laid the foundation for teaching them about germs in general.

In addition, not only are they learning to drink from their own glasses, but since these are the only cups (they each have two) the girls want to use, it’s actually cut down on dirty dishes. So much so, that we’ve even tossed around the idea of getting rid of all the extra sippy cups! It works for us!

For more WFMW ideas, be sure to visit Shannon at Rocks in my Dryer!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good idea! We need to do whatever works to keep kids on the right track. Thank you! :)

Tam said...

Hey Melanie,

Not sure if you will remember me. I ran across your wfmw post and thought, you looked familiar. Then I saw Tim on your page and knew it was ya'll! I'm Tamara Holmes Phillips. My family went to Trinity when ya'll were there. My parents are George and Rhonda and I have a younger sister Lauren. Congrats on the girls and the boy on the way! Such a small world to run across your blog! We live in Cypress now but my folks are still in Friendswood. Anyway, just wanted to say hello! Tell Tim hello too!
Tamara

phillips.tamara@gmail.com